Sunday, October 12, 2008

Crabbing

Last Wednesday our friends dad, Fred, took Seth, Scott & Cyndy out crabbing. They left our house at 5:30 am and headed up to Hammond. Fred had his boat waiting at the dock on the Columbia River. They headed out and once they were out far enough they started baiting the crab pots with tuna heads, which were left over from when Cyndy canned tuna. (By the way, if you have never had fresh tuna you are missing out. It is really good!) Then they threw the crab pots into the water, spacing them so they could catch more crab. Then they waited.......and waited......and waited some more. Because of the fog they had a hard time relocating their buoys but after a while they were able to find them all. Luckily, Fred had an electric pulley which made pulling them back into the boat much easier. You have to pull the crab out by their back legs otherwise they would pinch you. Then Scott would measure them & as long as they were big enough and males they kept them. The limit is 12 crab per person, so they caught all they could and headed back to shore.
Once back on shore they drove to Fred's house in Astoria. Then the fun began: killing, cleaning and cooking the crab. Scott's job was to chop them in half while they were screaming for their lives:) After they were cut in half Seth would pull their shells off and then Cyndy would clean them. Next they put them in four big cookers and boiled them. Once they were done cooking you have to put them in a sink full of cold water and once they cooled they were put into coolers to take home. They made it home around 6 and we had fresh crab, baked potato's & corn on the cob for dinner. I have never had crab that fresh before, it was so good! Because they caught 36 crab, we didn't want the rest to go bad so today they pulled all the meat from the left over crabs and put it in the freezer. They had a lot of fun & hopefully next time I will get to go too! Here are some more pictures.......
the aftermath of our crab dinner
fighting crabs

getting the last of the crab meatand our blog wouldn't be complete without a cute picture of Kimmie

5 comments:

Flee said...

Awesome! I really think that would be the fanciest food storage ever! It sounds like quite the adventure. I'd love to go boating, I miss it. :(

Michele said...

Reading this post made my mouth water! I LOVE fresh crab! Lucky girl! I can't believe your Kimmie is so big!

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

Wait a minute....You eat CRAB? When did this happen? Boy have you expanded the food you will eat! Glad to hear from you. Miss ya!

LAURA and ELIZA said...

MMMM! I would love to try crab! Looks like a yummy dinner! I think I need to come visit this beautiful place that you live! Oregon and the northwest coast has always been a place that I want to go. By the way...my fun trip time is quickly coming to an end. Pretty soon I'm not going to have anything to talk about on my blog. HAHA!! Kimmie is so cute!!!

Bill and Mandy Guidry said...

Thanks for the invite to your blog. Crabbing looks like a wicked good time. I'll sign up next time too! Also, how long will it take our little girls to grow some hair???