Sunday, September 14, 2008

Oneonta Falls

So, we went to Oneonta Falls last week with Cyndy, Scott, Kimmie & Oma (Kimmie and Oma stayed back and played in the stream) It was so beautiful! I have been there a couple times, but have never been able to hike all the way to the falls. To get there you have to climb over a bunch of fallen logs......then walk through FREEZING cold water. I have NEVER felt such cold water in my life! The water gets up to your waste and then it opens up to the beautiful falls! It was my goal to climb up and jump into the falls. The boys have all done it many times before. I swam over to the rock ledge (you can see it in the first picture, there is just a little space on the right of the falls where you can stand). You have to somehow pull yourself up and then jump off into the water. The force of the falls hitting the water caused a strong current that pushed you against the rocks. I was so scared! I have a very vivid imagination and I kept thinking I was going to drown (I know it, it sounds stupid when I say it now!). Now that I think about it the current wasn't that strong, I was just scared! The water is only deep around where the falls hit, every where else it is either waste deep or to your ankles. So it was very silly of me to be scared. But, I swam out and waited as Seth pulled himself up. By this time I was freezing and very nervous. I decided that I wasn't going to try it and I swam back. Seth got up there and jumped into the falls. It looked so fun! Now I am so mad at myself for not trying! Oh well, we will go again and next time I am getting up there! Here are some more pictures from the trip. It is very dark in there so some of the pictures may be hard to see.

the water is getting deeper

and deeper.................

Scott trying to pull himself up while Seth and I wait

Seth made it up & tried to help Scott. I am holding onto the rocks & at this point decided I was too scared to try it so I swam back to Cyndy. It is hard to see me but I am there.
me and Seth after we swam by the falls
Overall it was a fun trip and is definitely worth doing again! I wish I had some pictures of Kimmie playing in the stream but Oma doesn't have a digital camera so we will have to wait for those. Thank you Oma for watching Kimmie while we hiked.

3 comments:

Flee said...

So much fun! Let's do that when I go visit. You look so good!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Oregon is so beautiful. I have always wanted to live there.