Fetal Macrosomia is a fancy way of saying you have big babies. Yesterday I had a growth ultrasound of this baby boy and right now he is measuring at whopping 9 lbs 7 oz! And no, I do not have gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, or any other problems that would be causing him to be so big, we just make huge babies:) I will be 37 weeks tomorrow, so this really poses a lot of problems and questions about my labor and delivery.
Yes, I have had large babies before (David was born at 37 weeks & weighed 9.8 lbs) But, right now my midwife, and all the doctors at the office, are concerned that because of the size of this big boy, my risk for shoulder dystocia increases. Shoulder dystocia is when the baby's head is birthed, but the shoulders get stuck. This makes it impossible for the baby to take his/her first breath and requires additional maneuvers to deliver the baby, sometimes requiring dislocating the baby's shoulder. Not only is this a health risk for the baby, because of lack of oxygen and the physical damage done to get him out, but also to the mother.
Because of this increased risk, my midwife is advising me to have a c-section to help avoid any complications. So, after a lot of thought and prayer, our plan right now is that if I happen to go into labor within the next few days, I will elect to have a vaginal delivery. We are also scheduling a c-section for when I reach 38 1/2 weeks (in about 10 days) and if I happen to go into labor after this weekend, but before the 38 1/2 week mark, they will do an emergency c-section.
This was such a hard choice for us to make, it is not at all what I had planned for this delivery, but I have to do all I can to ensure this baby boy has the safest birth possible, even if it is not what I wanted. Of course, I can change my mind at any time. If I go into labor and decide I don't want a c-section, that is my choice and my midwife really supports whatever I want to do.
Overall I feel peaceful with the decision we've made. We have everything ready for this baby boy to come, so now we are just waiting for him to decide when that time is. I cannot believe how fast this pregnancy has gone by...soon we will be a family of 5!!!

3 comments:
We will be keeping you and your little one in our thoughts and prayers! You will just have some great football players! ;D I never had one of my babies even get to 7lbs! Glad you are doing well and we are looking forward to seeing pics!
Really hoping you have a safe delivery, and happy experience meeting your son.
Wow, I can't believe you are almost there! Hope everything goes well with the delivery or c-section. I am also carrying a big baby. I am measuring 3 weeks ahead and my doc said if I have a big baby by the end of this, then I also have to have a c-section again. It sucks, but the important thing is getting them here safely. :) Good luck with everything!
Post a Comment