I love finding new "crafty" things to do. Last week we had a graduation party to go to and I really wanted to make a candy dish for the graduate. After searching a couple stores I couldn't find the size glass jar I wanted. So, I decided to improvise. After walking all the isles at Joann Fabrics I found the perfect items to make a "mini" candy dish. It wasn't what I initially wanted, but it was PERFECT! I already had the paint I needed, so I just bought the glass top, which came with a lid, the base and some decorations. I had a bunch of coupons, so in the end this little gem...
 |
next to a vitamin bottle so you can see the actual size of the dish And it only cost me $1.79!!! |
Then I realized by best friend, Felicia's twins have a birthday coming up. What kid doesn't love a candy dish?!? Plus, I still haven't sent anything for her older daughter Lizzy's birthday, so I made one for each of them.
 |
| Paige, Elizabeth & Amber |
 |
| Paige |
 |
| Elizabeth |
 |
| Amber |
I didn't have as many coupons this time, so it cost me $10.89 to make all three. It cost more to mail the package than to make the gift:)
Then I was trying to think of a fun gift for Kimmie to give to her awesome teacher, Mrs. Bacos. This is pretty much the perfect little gift for anyone. This time I wanted it to be done by Kimmie, so I came up with the idea to paint it and then have her draw on it with permanent marker. I painted the "grass and sky" and then let Kimmie do whatever she wanted. It was so cute to watch her be creative and she put so much love into it.
 |
| Kimmie & Mrs. Bacos |
 |
| a swing set and slide with flowers, the sun and clouds. |
 |
| butterfly and clouds |
 |
| Kimmie walking her pet cat with Mrs. Bacos |
 |
| On the top of the base Kimmie wrote "to Mrs. Bacos From Kimmie 2012-2013 with a flower |
 |
| Just one more view of it. |
Mrs. Bacos has a special skittles machine for the kids when they do something right or get a reward they get one skittle. So Kimmie insisted we make her her own skittle machine. Mrs. Bacos LOVED it! She cried and said it was so thoughtful and she would cherish it forever. She said it was a picture that summed up her year with Kimmie. She also told me it meant to much to her that Kimmie would put so much thought and effort into a special gift for her. She is such an amazing teacher and has really been a huge blessing for us this year. We will miss her!
This one cost me $15.35 because I bought a 12 pack of multi-colored Sharpees, only to get home and find that some of them were completely dried out, so I will be returning it today. That brings the cost down to $6.48 because I didn't already have the paint or gold puffy paint. Still a great price!! I can't wait to make some more! I love that each one can be different. You should try it too!!!
2 comments:
cute! it reminds me of that beehive you made me with Pres. Hinckley's b's on it!
This is such a cute idea. Can i pin it? Miss you btw. I read your blog. You're like super mom. :)
Post a Comment