Sunday, June 6, 2010

26.2 miles conquered

I did it, I am now part of the less than 1% of people in the US who will run a marathon in their lifetime! It really was a great experience. We headed to the coast Friday afternoon and I was feeling super nervous. I had been battling a pretty bad IT band injury so I had only run 6 miles in the last two weeks of my training to try and let it heal. I was nervous about how my body would hold up...ok, honestly I was nervous about EVERYTHING! Once we got out to Newport and I was all checked in for the race my nerves started to settle down. We took the kids to the Newport Aquarium Friday which was a lot of fun. It was nice to get out with just the family and have some time alone. Our hotel room was right on the beach and the view was gorgeous. We took the kids to play on the beach before dinner and they loved the sand, but were a little hesitant about the big, cold ocean water. WE had a fun dinner together and watched the sun set from our balcony.

I barely slept Friday night, I kept checking the clock every hour afraid I would sleep in. The morning went smooth and I barely had enough time to worry. I decided not to try to fight my way to the front of the starting line, I saved that for the "real" runners. I stayed in the back and was lucky enough to have a friend run with me the first 3 miles (Thank you Katie!) she really helped me set a great pace, a faster pace than I normally did. Usually my knee would start hurting around mile 3, and I was running faster than usual, but when I hit mile 3 I couldn't believe it, NO PAIN! I just kept with that pace and tried to enjoy the scenery. The race ran right along the Oregon coast which was such a beautiful view!

Around mile 17 I was feeling pretty good, but realizing that I still had a long way to go. I was starting to feel discouraged when all the sudden I heard people cheering my name. I looked over and saw two cars full of some of my girlfriends from church. They made the trip out to the coast to support me and tears filled my eyes as I was running. (I am actually tearing up as I type this) They will never understand what it meant to me in that moment to hear them cheering and see their smiling faces. Their words of encouragement gave me the boost that I needed. They cheered along side me for the next few miles and they really gave me a lot of strength! When I reached mile 20 I did an oyster shooter (it is tradition at the Newport marathon and they have a little oyster stand set up along the road). I have never, and probably never will, have oysters again. But, I wanted to get the full effect of the Newport Marathon, so I did one:)

Miles 21-25 were the hardest for me! My pace really slowed down, from an 11 minute mile to a 13 minute mile and at some points close to 14 minutes. The heat was really taking a toll on me and I had never run more than 20 miles before and my body started to lose steam. My muscles were not hurting, no cramps, but I was just loosing speed. The finish line seemed like it would NEVER come. It really felt like the course was leading me away from the finish line, instead of towards it. Then, as I neared mile 26 I saw Seth in the distance with the kids in the stroller. I started to push even harder as I neared him. I was so excited to see him and he was so excited to see me. He ran along side of me for a little bit and reassured me that the end was near and that I could do it. Kimmie and David cheered me on from the stroller. Two more of my friends came along side us and gave me some final words of motivation. I was nearing the final hill and the finish line was just around the corner. They all left me to go be at the finish line while I raced down the last section of my 26.2 mile run! I kicked it into gear and ran that last leg of the race as fast as I could. I didn't think I had anything left in me, but seeing Seth and the kids near the finish really gave me that extra push I needed. I really wanted to make them proud! As I crossed the finish line I looked down at my watch...4:56:33!!! (thank you to my other friend Katie who let me use her awesome watch!!) I couldn't believe it, my original goal had been just to finish, and I was hoping to do it in at least 6 hours. To do it in under 5 was amazing to me and I am proud to say I didn't walk any of it either. I don't know what came over me during that race, but adrenaline kicked in and I was in the zone. I cried as I crossed the finish line and I am proud to finally say I RAN A MARATHON!!! Now here I am, 72 hours later, still waddling a little bit and fried to a crisp, but thinking of the next race I can do...but I think I will stick to half marathons from now on!

I really owe everything to Seth. He has been such an example to me and really inspired me to run. He even grew his hair out while I was training to show his support for me. When he ran his marathon last October I was so proud of him, I cried as he passed me at his mile 26 and he really did inspire me and support me in training for my own marathon. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful husband and best friend. I also want to thank my other friends and family (especially those far away who were not able to be here) Everyone has been so supportive and the days when I didn't think I could do it, they told me I could and I really am such a lucky girl! This marathon has taught me that anything is possible. You do not have to be a star athlete to run a marathon, you just have to push yourself. Anything is possible and I really hope that I can always remember that!
Some of the girls took some great pictures, but these are the ones from our camera. I will try to upload more later.
Me at 6:30 am heading to the starting line!
mile 26, the final downhill to the finish line
FINISHED!!!
with the family at the finish line!
Posing with the "skull and bones" girls
AMAZING FREINDS!!
one of the signs they made me


my LOVE


proud Kimmie wearing mommy's medal


I feel like I am #1!!

3 comments:

Flee said...

AMAZING! I am so happy and proud of you! I'm really thinking of maybe running the Mackinac Island 1/2 marathon in October...We will see though. I feel so inspired right now! I hate running, but it's a huge accomplishment and I know you feel great after completing it, I want to feel that way too.

Also, looking hottie! *rit rew* ;)

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

Wow! what a huge accomplishment! what a great example you've set... set a goal and working towards it. wish i could have been there to cheer you on!

Anonymous said...

Good Job! I am so glad that we could be there to cheer for you! I can't wait for our 1/2 next year (hopefully!)