Monday, December 7, 2015

Kate's 2 year check-up

How can our baby Kate be 2 already?!? She is such an active girl, she has no fear and has the fractured skull to prove it....did I forget to mention that?!?
On October 1st she was playing in the boys room with Joshua & Ryan. I was in my room getting ready to go for a run and everyone else was in the living room. Suddenly I heard Kate screaming. We don't know exactly what happened, but Kate was on the top bunk and fell off...or as Joshua said, she jumped off. She was pretty shaken up and we were worried she might have hurt her leg when she fell. Once Seth was able to calm her down I took her to urgent care to get checked out. She had a bump/cut on her head, we think from landing on David's basketball trophy, but other than that they said she was fine. They told me what concussion symptoms to watch for and sent us home. She was fine and never showed any problems/symptoms from the fall, except a bump on her forehead.
Three weeks later she was in for her 2 year check-up I mentioned it to the doctor because she still had a bump. At first the doctor thought it was just some built-up tissue from her body trying to heal it, but after further examination realized that she had actually fractured her skull!! I was so upset, I couldn't believe she had gone 3 weeks with a fractured skull. The doctor assured me there was nothing more I could have done, that I did everything right, but it is still hard to process. There is nothing we can do for it, they don't cast your skull, so we just wait and let her body heal on its own. It's doing really well, even though she has knocked it a few more times being adventurous. She is a fun, outgoing, crazy girl and I love it! She wants to do everything her older siblings do, even jump off the top bunk!

 Just so you know, the bunk beds are no longer up!

Weight: 31 lbs 8.5oz (95th percentile)
Height: 36 inches (95th percentile)
Head Circumference: 20.25 inches (108th percentile)

Birthday party with family

Kate's Minnie Mouse cake. I made it up as I went and am happy with how it turned out
Our baby is 2!!

The aftermath of the fall
a few days later, two black eyes. We later found out that the black eyes weren't from hitting when she landed, but were actually from trauma buildup from her head pretty much draining out her eyes. So strange!!
 3 weeks later, you can still see the scar and if you feel it, you can feel the v-shaped fracture
Silly girl:)


No comments: