Wednesday, November 2, 2011

99 years later...



Last night my Great-Grandmother (Granny) passed away at the amazing age of 99! I thought since we knew it was coming, and since she had lived a long, full life, that I would be fine when it happened, but as I sit here typing this it brings tears to my eyes. It has been over 2 years since I have seen her and I am wishing I would have been able to go visit her one last time. I know she lived a long, happy life and I am glad she has returned home to Heavenly Father, but I am left wishing I would have taken advantage of all the years I had with her. Unfortunately, as Granny got older, her memory got worse, so when we would visit there wasn't much deep conversation happening. We would sit and visit, and she always made me laugh, but I wish I knew her better. I wish I knew about her childhood, and what life was like for her growing up in such a different time and place. I will miss her fun, flirty personality (yes, even at the ripe old age of 99 she was still flirty!) I am just happy that when I did last see her, we were able to get a 5 generations picture, that is something not many people get to experience. In fact, shortly before she died my cousin had his first grandchild, allowing them to get a 6 generations picture.

The one thing I am taking from this is that I want to do all I can to learn more about my family history. I don't want to just know names and birthdates, I want to really know the people!!


5 Generations




Granny giving David kisses


Granny & David


1 comment:

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

Sorry to hear of her passing. I hope you feel peace at this time. She sounds like quite the character.... flirty, huh?! wonder where you got that from ;0p